Terry Gilliam: His new film may be shown in Cannes - and he's coming
Now it's official: The long-term project "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" by director Terry Gilliam (77, "12 Monkeys") may be shown as a closing film of the 71st Cannes Film Festival. This was announced on the official Twitter account of the film festival: "Paulo Branco's request for a ban was rejected in court". And Gilliam will be there herself, they say. Fans were worried about the director after he had to be treated temporarily in a hospital according to media reports.
"We are not dead yet"
Due to this decision, the film festival is in a celebratory mood: "Let's make this victory a great party". And even Terry Gilliam himself said: "We are not dead yet. We come to Cannes". For this purpose, the Film Festival published a photo of the director, on which he wears a black T-shirt with a print of "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote".
The Portuguese producer Paulo Branco (67) wanted to obtain a preliminary injunction in court, so that the fantasy adventure can not be shown in Cannes. The two men are fighting over the financing of the strip. Branco is said to have not paid his share with his company, so Gilliam finally realized the strip with other donors. For years he has worked on "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote". The first filming had already taken place in 2000.
"The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" is scheduled for September 6, 2018 in German cinemas. Starring is Adam Driver, Jonathan Pryce, Stellan Skarsgård and Olga Kurylenko.